BloggersUnite for Haiti
Haiti, one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere has been hit by a scale 7 earthquake. Authorities predict the casualties might well be in the north of 50,000. Â The country has had a harsh and unstable history. Most people in Haiti live on less than $2/day and unemployment is rampant.
At such an unfortunate time, it is our moral duty to help those in need. Every little bit helps no matter how small. And you don’t even have to do anything special like going there for volunteering you can provide help by making donations to NGO and other volunteering organizations.
If that is not possible you can also do your bit by spreading the word using your social presence like Facebook, Twitter, social bookmarking, blogging and even a combination of these. It is at such times that we as humans must unite and what better platform than social media?
Please email, tweet, fb your friends and request them to come forward for help.
Here are some of the ways that you can provide your help in the form of donations -
- The first organization that comes to mind when any calamity is encountered is The Red Cross. You can make financial donations toÂ The Red Cross International Relief Fund by calling 1-800-RED-CROSS or online at http://www.redcross.org
- You can also text “HAITI” to “90999″ and it will make a donation of $10 to the American Red Cross to help with the relief efforts. It’ll be deducted from your mobile’s prepaid balance or will be added to your next bil if you’re on a post-paid plan.
- To donate $5 to Wyclef Jean’s Haitian Yele charity, text “Yele” to 501501. The money will be added to your next phone bill.
- To find out how to help the International Rescue Committee,visithttp://www.theIRC.org or call toll free, 1-877-REFUGEE.
- To donate through Oxfam’s emergency appeal, visit http://www.oxfam.org.uk
Google has a page known as Google Crisis Response with more information -Â http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/
If you’re a blogger please visit BloggersUnite for Haiti web page for other useful links and information. I’ll try to update this page often. If you’ve got any useful piece of information kindly share it in the comments. I’ll even include it in the main post if you want (including links to your blog or twitter or whatever).